Live Blackjack Online in Canada
You don’t need to be a casino guru. You don’t even need to know the perfect strategy. If you want to get in on the high-octane action, you can put your skills to the test and play live blackjack online at any of the best Canadian casinos.
If you feel like taking on the live dealers, continue reading to discover all you’ll need to know. We discuss the game’s rules, blackjack’s most popular variants, how you can win big by placing side bets and where is best to play. Soon, you’ll be hitting 21 and reaping the rewards for yourself!
|Table of Contents|
Find the best Canadian casinos with Live Blackjack!
If you want to play live blackjack online, you needn’t look further than Casinopro’s list of top casinos. Our team of experts has handpicked a range of sites with top-tier live dealer options. Simply choose your favourite and click the respective link to get started!
Playing live dealer blackjack is extremely similar to taking a seat at your nearest land-based casino. The main difference is that the game is directly streamed to your device from either a real casino or a filming studio. You then use an on-screen display to select your actions from wherever it is you prefer to play.
You’ll find that each table has a specific number of seats and betting limits. Once seated, you must wait for the current round to conclude before you can place any bets.
Select your desired wager using the relevant chip values, decide if you want to play any side bets and wait to receive your cards. The action will unfold turn by turn, starting from the player in the first position.
You can usually select your preferred action before it’s your turn by choosing to stand, hit or double as soon as you receive your cards. If you’d prefer to wait, you’ll have a set amount of time to act. After each player has acted, the dealer will play the hand as per the game’s rules.
All bets will instantly settle and any winnings will appear in your account balance. The next round will then begin. You can alter your stake or utilise the rebet function to immediately place your previous bet. Live blackjack is widely enjoyed because of its realism to being inside a physical casino hall.
Live Blackjack Rules
Ultimately, your goal is to beat the dealer’s count without exceeding 21. Whilst this is easy enough to grasp, there are certain rules that you’ll need to know when playing.
These influence the gameplay and can dictate your available actions. So, we suggest you familiarise yourself with the basic rules by checking them out below.
- Most variants are played with 8 standard decks of 52 cards.
- The dealer must stand on 17 or higher, often including ‘soft’ 17 - a hand containing an ace.
- The option to double down allows you to double your initial bet. After your first two cards are dealt, you can add a wager equal to your starting bet to receive one extra card. Most live blackjack games allow you to double down on any two first cards.
- You can split cards of equal rank (for example 10 & 10 or 4 & 4). You then play both hands independently and win, lose or push on their own merit.
- You will only receive a single card when splitting aces.
- Insurance is available when the dealer’s face card is an ace. The insurance bet allows you to wager half of your original stake if you feel as though the dealer will hit blackjack. If this occurs, successful insurance bets will pay at 2:1 odds.
- Natural blackjack pays 3:2 odds.
- A hand results in a push when both the player’s and the dealer’s hand share the same value. In this instance, your stake is returned.
Side bets are additional wagers that pay according to specific pay tables, regardless of the outcome of your hand. Although there is no strategy involved when placing side bets, they can result in great returns.
Perfect Pairs: This bet covers your initial two cards.
|Perfect Pair||Two identical cards of the same suit and rank e.g. 2 of hearts / 2 of hearts.||25:1|
|Coloured Pair||Two cards of the same rank and colour e.g. 2 of hearts / 2 of diamonds.||12:1|
|Mixed Pair||Two cards of the same rank but different colour e.g. 2 of hearts / 2 of clubs.||6:1|
21+3: This bet covers your initial two cards and the dealer’s face card.
|Suited Trips||Three cards of the same suit and rank e.g. 6 of hearts / 6 of hearts / 6 of hearts.||100:1|
|Straight Flush||Three consecutive cards of the same suit e.g. 7 of hearts / 8 of hearts / 9 of hearts.||40:1|
|Three of a Kind||Any three cards of the same rank e.g. 3 of hearts, 3 of clubs, 3 of diamonds.||30:1|
|Straight||Three consecutive cards of any suit e.g. 7 of hearts / 8 of clubs / 9 of diamonds.||10:1|
|Flush||Three cards of the same suit e.g. 2 of hearts / 7 of hearts / 9 of hearts.||5:1|
If you like to mix things up, there are several blackjack variants you can try out. They don’t often alter the gameplay too much, it’s more that they tinker with certain rules and betting limits. However, if you’re tired of playing at the same tables over and over, check below to see some of the most popular live dealer alternatives.
Double Exposure Blackjack
With Double Exposure Blackjack, the overall goal remains the same but here you get to see both of the dealer’s cards. The information does come at a cost, however. The game has a few rule changes to ensure the casino doesn’t lose too much of the house edge.
The most notable alteration is that all ties now become dealer wins, except in the case of natural blackjack. Additionally, depending upon provider and/or game, tied blackjacks can push or be awarded to the player, dealers may hit or stand on ‘soft’ 17 and the rules on doubling may be somewhat more restrictive.
Common Draw Blackjack
Common Draw Blackjack allows for an unlimited number of players but everyone plays the same hand. Essentially, there are community cards that each player must use to decide their preferred action. You can see other player’s decisions in real-time, which can help to give an indication of the optimal strategy. However, you can always choose to go against the grain if you want to.
The main appeal is that rounds play much faster than regular blackjack. However, we do advise caution: you may win at a faster rate but you can lose even quicker. Blackjack still pays 3:2 and you can double on any two cards, often including splits. The dealer must stand on 17.
If you want to get in on the live dealer blackjack action, an open seat is only ever minutes away. Simply follow our step-by-step guide to get started.
- Step 1: Choose from our best live blackjack sites and follow the link to get started.
- Step 2: Sign up as a new player and make a deposit if necessary. Look out for casino bonuses to bolster your initial bankroll.
- Step 3: Navigate to the live casino.
- Step 4: Select your preferred live blackjack game and join the table.
- Step 5: Wait for the round to commence. Select your stake and place your bets.
- Step 6: Watch the HD video stream to see the action unfold in real-time.
- Step 7: Wait for your turn to act. Once all players have acted, the dealer will draw according to the rules and resolve the outcome of the hand. All winning hands will be instantly paid.
- Step 8: You can utilise the Rebet/Autoplay function to quickly select your previous bet.
Many players still enjoy traditional land-based casino blackjack but others prefer the live dealer action. So, what drives them to play at the best live casinos? Well, it ultimately comes down to preference. However, there are also certain advantages of doing so. That’s why we’ve listed several pros below to help you make up your mind.
- Mobile compatibility: If you have a spare 5 minutes and want to take on the dealer, you can navigate to a live mobile casino and play. You get the same great experience as the HD action is directly streamed to your device. A few taps of the screen and you can be dealt in!
- Wider range of betting limits: Tables are separated into low stakes and high roller games, allowing you to easily select your desired level.
- Expertly trained dealers: The dealer’s knowledge of the game impacts the fluidity of each hand and their communication skills are key to an enjoyable atmosphere. Thankfully, all live dealers undergo rigorous training to ensure top-tier gameplay and you can communicate via a live chat function.
- Variety of choice: Land-based casinos often have limited tables and versions of the game. Conversely, if you play online, you can swap between tables in the blink of an eye or play another variant whenever you want.
Land vs Online vs Live Blackjack
There are pros and cons to playing each of the various offerings. Check below to see a summary of the advantages and disadvantages of your options.
|Land-based Blackjack||Online Blackjack||Live Blackjack|
|✔️ Experience and authentic casino atmosphere.||✔️ Play at your own pace. There’s no pre-round timer; you can alter your bets until you’re ready to begin.||✔️ HD video allows you to experience the action in real-time.|
|✔️ No internet requirements mean no potential connection issues.||✔️ Fully mobile optimised.||✔️ A great social atmosphere thanks to player camaraderie and live chat.|
|❌ Player limits.||✔️ Plenty of side bets to choose from.||✔️ Many exciting variants help to mix up the gameplay.|
|❌ Requires travel.||❌ No social element.||✔️Typically fully mobile optimised.|
|❌ Restrictive betting limits.||❌ Visuals can be bland and dated.||❌ Pre-round betting timer requires quick reactions.|
Best live blackjack software
Many top iGaming providers deliver a suite of live blackjack games but some are widely considered to be better than others. If you’re looking for somewhere to get started, we suggest titles created by the award-winning developers listed below.
Evolution Gaming specialises in live casino games. The company’s combined expertise are drawn upon to deliver the ultimate live dealer experience from a state of the art filming studio. There is a huge variety of blackjack games to try out and many dedicated tables to each betting level. So, if you’re looking for the best live blackjack online casino, we suggest you aim for one that is home to Evolution Gaming’s portfolio.
Although somewhat new to the live casino arena, Pragmatic Play has soon proved its merit. The provider’s range of blackjack titles offer an equally compelling experience and are often available at many top online casinos. You can enjoy a wide range of exciting side bets at the tables but the bet behind feature also enables you to play when no seats are available.
If you have any other questions regarding live blackjack, check out our handy FAQ section below.
Yes, provided you wager real money to begin with. Each hand that you win results in a cash payout, whether it be 1:1 for beating the dealer or 3:2 for a natural blackjack. Side bets can also be a great cash injection thanks to their high payout odds.
Your goal is to beat the dealer’s count without exceeding 21, so you can definitely beat the dealer. You can do so with your first two cards or via a combination of other actions. It’s always advisable to take a look at the dealer’s face card before acting, though.
Canadian players can enjoy live blackjack at fully regulated online casinos. As such, we’ve vetted each site before offering a recommendation to ensure a safe and secure environment for all players.
You can experience live mobile blackjack on any modern handheld device, whether it’s powered by iOS, Android or Windows software. Simply navigate to one of our recommended mobile live casinos to enjoy a few hands on the go.
Whilst it’s not impossible to count cards playing live blackjack, the games are designed to prevent it. The key facet to card counting is deck penetration, which relates to how many decks are dealt before a reshuffle. When playing online, you’ll notice that dealers reshuffle the shoe on a regular basis to thwart players using this technique.
No, all online casino games, including live dealer titles, must be rigorously tested to meet fair play regulations. Additionally, all dealers must pass stringent background checks and also pass extensive training regimes to operate any live casino game.